Thursday, March 21, 2013

Macaroni To GO!

Good Morning, today I have a tad bit of the cold so I plan on staying in bed and finishing my leftovers but when I woke up my throat hurt a bit so I decided I wanted to try Annie's Gluten Free Microwaveable Macaroni and Cheese. I found these at the health food store yesterday and to tell you the truth I never even knew they existed. Every time I passed their food in the isles of different grocery chains I always said I wish they had these in Gluten free in case I ever wanted to go on a gluten detox for 2 months (Which I contemplated a lot before I found out 2 weeks ago that I actually can't have gluten)... regardless I was very pleased when I found them.


When I made the macaroni I pretty much followed the directions it said to microwave the macaroni with 3/4 cup of water for 3 1/2 minuets then stir in the cheese sauce and let it sit for one minuet. If desired add 1 tablespoon each of milk and butter while adding the cheese sauce. Well I didn't have milk so I just added the butter. A little note before I forget, as you can see my little casserole thing is REALLY (1/3 cup or so) little probably enough for 1 egg, after I filled it I still had about 1/2 my macaroni left in another bowl.

Here are the top 5 reasons I like this Macaroni:
1. I love food that can be taken on the go! With Annie's Macaroni you can just staple the two packets (noodle & cheese sauce) together and keep it in your bag to reheat in the office, school, friends house or anywhere you find a microwave. I may even buy a bag of these to keep at my grandparents house so that I have a snack if I get hungry when I visit them.
2.. Annie's products are organic with no preservatives, making them a healthier alternative to regular macaroni and cheese which jam packed full of chemicals YUM!
3. The price wasn't too bad, I paid $6.00 (pack of 5) for this. Basically this cost only a dollar more then the regular microwavable macaroni (pack of 6) that college students stock in their dorms. What I am trying to say is that it is an affordable alternative organic option for broke college student's as long as you don't scarf down the entire box all in one sitting, and way cheaper then buying those 1.50 snacks from the schools vending machine that does absolutely nothing for you. 
4. Simplicity, I really did not have to work at cooking this meal, it only took me about 10 seconds of prep (measure, pour, stir, go) and another 30 seconds to finish it off (add butter, stir, pour, stir,transfer, cut sprinkle) 15 seconds if you didn't add the butter or the green onions like I did As you can see I had no clumping.
5. This is probably one of the biggest reasons I like it: It taste GREAT! My parents know I hate gluten free pasta it just does not taste right in my opinion and the texture is SO WRONG!!! So I am really happy to know I can still enjoy some type of pasta in my diet.

Here are the only two cons I can find... which aren't really that bad depending on perspective:
1. It doesn't have much vitamins, then again what macaroni and cheese does? So my recommendation is to eat this as a side or a snack and not a meal. When I ate this I had 2 eggs and 1/2 a grapefruit (not shown) along with it.
2. Sodium Content is also a little high at 540 mg (23% of a 2000 calorie diet) so if you are on a low sodium diet be careful where you want to spend it but for me I love and need more sodium in my diet so I will welcome it with open arms.




No comments:

Post a Comment